truly outrageous

Truly Outrageous...

...life as a Rock Star Mama (minus the rock, minus the star)

Saturday, March 12, 2005

What's the "right life" for you?

"Oh, you're 26? Well, you look just old enough to be 18! You're really such a baby... So, are you married? No? Oh..." [followed by a face mixed with sympathy, pity, and just the slightest bit of judgement - or maybe not so slight...]

What's with that? How can I be just a baby, and yet should be married, have a house, and be working on the 2.5 kids? Recently this topic has come up a lot in my life, and the lives of my twenty-something (or older) friends. And then I'm sitting in a doctor's office, pick up the current Time magazine and find this essay (timing is so weird sometimes): The Bachelorette Who Set Us Free

Personally I do not get bombarded with the latter comments and facial expressions, as I am married. But that doesn't mean that I think it's ok, or that I'm not completely disgusted by it. From my own perspective, being a twenty-something who is married, have a house (well, a townhouse) and is contemplating the baby thing... it still sucks. I don't want to be the "one who did it right". Who said that? Certainly not me. If someone asked me 5 years ago where I'd be today, I never would have guessed I'd be here. And by being compared to me as the "one who did it right", that means that I am only valuable because of the fact that I'm married? What about the other accomplishments in my life? The fact that I went back to school? What about being an intelligent, hardworking, honest, caring, empathetic, loving woman?

Certainly, this is NOT to say that I don't appreciate what I have. I truly feel blessed to be as fortunate as I am to find my husband as early as I did... but what's with the judgement if that hasn't happened? I could very well be like many of my friends, and be a single twenty-something now. Would that make me less of a person?

Who are we to judge someone who isn't married? That we somehow know what the "right life" is for everyone else? Personally, I would never give myself that much credit!

People make comments about what "Sex and the City" has done for single women. While I don't doubt that it is better than it used to be, I think if you talk to a lot of single females now, they might tell you that there's much more to be done.

1 Comments:

At March 13, 2005 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what all the married ones say. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home